Monday, March 28, 2005

Roundup Extended Control

I read this on another list and thought it would be of interest. I've
used Round-up for years, but never for residual control. Read on...

From the Landscape_Pro_Tips list:

I wonder if any of our Landscapers or professional licensed
applicators have
seen the NEW Roundup Extended Control and looked at the formulation? I
wonder if they have added another active ingredient for the extended
control, or simply increased the strength of the mix?

I've been seeing TV ads for this product here in Michigan for about a
week,
yet it is not stocked in any of our stores. In fact, the manager of our
Lowes looked it up and it is not even on his list of products that he
could
order for his store.

I'm still working on a gallon of concentrate from 2 years ago, but my
chemical supply house does not have it in any commercial form. It
appears to
be packaged in a 1.33 gallon ready to spray retail package for
homeowners.

The new product sounds like it is something like Ortho's Triox, which
has
been around for at least 30 years that I can recall.

I'm surprised that the Roundup people haven't come up with a product
like
this earlier. I think I've been using Roundup for about 20 years now.

The Roundup product has been touted as safe and becoming inert when it
comes
in contact with the earth or ground. However, if you are a licensed
applicator and use the concentrate, maybe you know or have found out
that if
you spray the concentrate at 2x or 3x the recommended rate in water,
that
you do get a residual killing effect in the soil that lasts for 2-4
months.
I've been spraying gravel or stone driveways and similar surfaces for
years
with Roundup concentrate at 3x the recommended dilution rate and
getting
excellent residual control. It kills growing vegetation and prevents
new
weed seeds from sprouting for several months. It's been cheaper than
Triox
type products, but you must be careful of runoff around the perimeter
of the
area you spray. This is one of those "do not try this yourself things".

rf

No comments: